Tutor: the Docker-based Open edX distribution designed for peace of mind
Tutor is the official Docker-based Open edX distribution, both for production and local development. The goal of Tutor is to make it easy to deploy, customise, upgrade and scale Open edX. Tutor is reliable, fast, extensible, and it is already used to deploy hundreds of Open edX platforms around the world.
Do you need professional assistance setting up or managing your Open edX platform? Overhang.IO provides online support as part of its Long Term Support (LTS) offering.
100% open source
Runs entirely on Docker
World-famous 1-click installation and upgrades
Extensible architecture with plugins
Works with Kubernetes
No technical skill required with the zero-click Tutor AWS image
“Tutor simplifies the deployment of Open edX, so that we can directly focus on customizing our platform. Thanks a lot.” – Shashi Kiran G M
“Tutor is an absolutely fabulous initiative” – Lionel Meinertzhagen, Learning engineer - Université Libre de Bruxelles
“Tutor just keeps on giving” – Stephen Brewer, Project Leader - IT Consulting
“Tutor has been a Godsend” – Micah L.
Quickstart (1-click install)
Install the latest stable release of Tutor from pip:
pip install "tutor[full]"
Or download the pre-compiled binary and place the
tutor executable in your path:
sudo curl -L "https://github.com/overhangio/tutor/releases/download/v14.0.5/tutor-$(uname -s)_$(uname -m)" -o /usr/local/bin/tutor sudo chmod 0755 /usr/local/bin/tutor
tutor local quickstart
Yes :) This is what happens when you run
tutor local quickstart:
You answer a few questions about the Configuration of your Open edX platform.
Configuration files are generated from templates.
Docker images are downloaded.
Docker containers are provisioned.
A full, production-ready Open edX platform (Nutmeg release) is run with docker-compose.
The whole procedure should require less than 10 minutes, on a server with good bandwidth. Note that your host environment will not be affected in any way, since everything runs inside docker containers. Root access is not even necessary.
There’s a lot more to Tutor than that! To learn more about what you can do with Tutor and Open edX, check out the What next? section. If the quickstart installation method above somehow didn’t work for you, check out the Troubleshooting guide.
- Getting started
- Running Open edX
- Configuration and customisation
- “Cannot start service caddy: driver failed programming external connectivity”
- “Couldn’t connect to docker daemon”
- “Running migrations… Killed!” / “Command failed with status 137: docker-compose”
- Help! The Docker containers are eating all my RAM/CPU/CHEESE
- “Build failed running pavelib.servers.lms: Subprocess return code: 1”
- The chosen default language does not display properly
- When I make changes to a course in the CMS, they are not taken into account by the LMS
- Tutor development
- What is Tutor?
- What is the purpose of Tutor?
- What’s the difference with the official “native” installation?
- What’s the difference with the official devstack?
- Is Tutor officially supported by edX?
- What features are missing from Tutor?
- Are there people already running this in production?
- Why should I trust software written by some random guy on the Internet?
The complete source code for Tutor is available on Github: https://github.com/overhangio/tutor
To get community support, go to the official Open edX discussion forum: https://discuss.openedx.org. For official support, please subscribe to a Long Term Support (LTS) license at https://overhang.io/tutor/pricing.
We welcome contributions to Tutor! To learn how you can contribute, please check the relevant section of the Tutor docs: https://docs.tutor.overhang.io/tutor.html#contributing.
This work is licensed under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License (AGPL).
The AGPL license covers the Tutor code, including the Dockerfiles, but not the content of the Docker images which can be downloaded from https://hub.docker.com. Software other than Tutor provided with the docker images retain their original license.
The Tutor plugin and hooks system is licensed under the terms of the Apache License, Version 2.0.
© 2021 Tutor is a registered trademark of SASU NULI NULI. All Rights Reserved.